Adaptive for every-body, restorative for subtle-body, therapeutic for mind-body.
Our 15-hour Accessible/Adaptive Yoga Training provides the foundation for anyone who would like to offer Yoga4Every-body.
Our training covers:
- What is yoga and why does it work?
- What is Accessible/Adaptive Yoga?
- Who can benefit from Adaptive Yoga?
- Who can participate in Adaptive/Restorative yoga?
- Yoga basics
- Client assessment
- Adjustment and adaptation processes
- The “body as a resource”
- Physiology of stress, pain and dis-ease
- Alignment principals for Every-body
- Anatomy and physiology
- Tools for facilitating an Adaptive session (equipment, props and bolsters)
Accessible/Adaptive Yoga aims to accomplish three things:
1. Train health care providers, yoga teachers and caregivers to utilize the basic tools of yoga to improve the health and well-being of those they care for.
2. Empower individuals to find their own ways to heal, using the body as a resource.
3. Help people feel safe, hope-full and free.
Adaptive and Accessible yoga training is a hands-on experience. No matter what walk of life or purpose you bring to this course, you will discover a whole new world of ability – yours, and the ability of the people you may serve. Through a dynamic learning environment, we will experience and grow to understand Accessible/Adaptive Yoga and the differently-able populations it serves. Students will be given the opportunity to practice with each other and experience firsthand what it might be like to do yoga in a wheelchair, in bed, without a limb or without a particular physical or cognitive ability.
As the great yoga master Khrisnamacharya said, “If you can breathe, you can do yoga.”
Adaptive yoga can be best described as a system of modified yoga postures and techniques that afford clients, patients and practitioners the ability to moderate pain. Through adaptive yoga, we can achieve health and wholeness despite the circumstances. We can also assess, adapt and adjust one’s postural alignment to facilitate healing, circulation, connection and rehabilitation. Adaptive yoga can be applied anywhere and at any time, and anybody can do adaptive yoga.
Join Mary-Jo Fetterly and her exceptional faculty for a 15-hour Accessible Yoga Training near you.